Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Apologies to Norwegians re Breivik sentence


MY APOLOGIES TO NORWEGIANS, I'D BE FOR DETAINING BREIVIK TOO
Hal Pepinsky, pepinsky@indiana.edu, pepinsky.blogspot.com
August 29, 2012

I shared my August 24 post on the sentencing of Anders Breivik with several Norwegian friends. One of them, criminologist Per Ole Johansen, has taken the time to inform me that Breivik promised that if released he had access to weapons and would use them for a repeat attack, and likeminded friends to help him. Per Ole tells me that underground guns are all too abundant in Norway, and that he wouldn't be prepared to bet lives on the unsupported police belief that Breivik was bluffing.

I apologize, especially to those whose lives were directly touched by Breivik's massacre, for suggesting that he poses no further danger to his community. Here I preach resistance to profiling and stereotyping. Woops!

And Norwegians, thank you for setting the rest of us an example of dignity and restraint in the face of national tragedy. Love and peace--hal

1 comment:

  1. After reading your content i am really hopeful that i can get more friends in the world. This is the best option for us to developed the contact with the others people.

    ReplyDelete