Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Lithuanian lecture on the peacemaking paradigm

Please find below a link to a lecture I gave at Vilnius University on October 18, 2012.  It begins with a generous if barely audible introduction in Lithuanian by sociology professor Aleksandras Dobryninas, which you might want to skip past if, like me, you don't speak the language.

In this lecture, I trace the intellectual journey that led me through conventional training in law and sociology/criminology to the paradigm I now embrace, where my dependent variables have become "violence" and "peacemaking" as I define them.  I explain how I became disenchanted with trying to explain crime and criminality along the way, and how I apply the peacemaking paradigm to everyday life including criminal justice practice. The 1-hour lecture is followed by a half hour of discussion.  I speak in plain language that should be accessible to students and lay listeners, and yet I hope is meaningful to full-blown criminologists.

 My 2006 book, Peacemaking: Reflections of a Radical Criminologists, published by the University of Ottawa Press, is a written version of this journey.  Final page proofs, virtually identical to the book itself, are freely available on the website of the Division on Critical Criminology of the American Society of Criminology, at
http://critcrim.org/sites/default/files/Pepinsky_proofs_0.pdf .

Love and peace--Hal

Hal Pepinsky, pepinsky@indiana.edu, pepinsky.blogspot.com, 519 Evergreen Circle, Worthington, OH 43085-3667, 1-614-885-6341
________________________________________


From: AD [aleksandras.dobryninas@fsf.vu.lt]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2012 4:50 PM
To: Pepinsky, Harold E.
Subject: RE: in addition: some time before

Dear Hal,

I send you the link to a video file of your lecture on Peacemaking
Criminology at Vilnius University:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4bqfxhgptf99r4/ksc201%28480x270%29.avi

Best,

Aleksandras

No comments:

Post a Comment